Feb 17, 2012

DIY Beauty Fridays: Removing Product Build-Up with Baking Soda

Did you know your hair is prone to build-up?  Gross, right?

For those that haven't heard this term before, build-up is a layer of product left behind after shampooing.  Sometimes, even the shampoo and conditioner you use can be the culprit.  You know when your hair has product build-up because it feels greasier then usual, extremely weighed down, and will look very lackluster.  If this is your hair, you need a clarifying shampoo.  Or, better yet, you need a cheaper alternative....

DIY Clarifying Shampoo

Shampoo (please please please try to use a sulfate and paraben free shampoo)
1 tsp baking soda

Place desired amount of shampoo in your hand.  ( I personally know I use too much shampoo but find a quarter size amount just isn't enough.  I use the size of two quarters when I shampoo my hair.)  Mix the baking soda into the shampoo you have in the palm of your hand.  Apply to hair like normal.  Let stand 5 minutes and rinse out with warm/cool water.  Apply a good conditioner afterwards!!  

Baking soda is a great alternative to purchasing an expensive clarifying shampoo.  Not only does it do the trick BUT it's something that everyone has in their cupboard.  If you use a lot of products daily, you'll want to ensure that you're clarifying about once every 3 weeks.  If you don't use very many products, a clarifying treatment once every month and a half will suffice.

Try this out ladies.  Your hair will definitely thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Yes! I heard about this... it's called the "no poo" method! I also heard that after you wash your hair with baking soda, you should rinse it with apple cider vinegar (a natural conditioner)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so going to try this. And just so you know, I'll try it and blog about it if it works. Thanks for the tip lady!

      xo

      Delete
  2. Yep..I know a few ladies that do only this.. and Holly is right..rinsing it with the cider counteracts the baking soda..since one is acidic and the other is alkaline.

    Great post!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am so going to have to try the apple cider vinegar trick now. Thanks for the comment!

      xo

      Delete
  3. oh wow that is such a great post, I never knew you could do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. News to me too! I'll have to give it a go, but I wonder how it works with colored hair? xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive done this for years with the baking soda. Learned it in beauty school back in day. It works great on colored hair as well. Makes your hair soooo soft and shiny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.